In 2015, the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee concluded that Americans were underconsuming magnesium and deemed it a “nutrient of concern.” Shortly after, the Food and Nutrition Board quickly recommended that Americans increase their magnesium intake.
Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) of Magnesium:
Magnesium deficiency symptoms may include:
- Agitation and anxiety
- Restless legs syndrome
- Sleep disorders
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abnormal heart rhythms
- Low blood pressure
- Muscle spasm and weakness
- Poor nail growth
The Role of Magnesium
Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body and a cofactor in more than 300 enzyme systems that regulate diverse biochemical reactions. Here are just some of the ways the body uses magnesium:
- Protein synthesis*
- Muscle and nerve function*
- Healthy blood glucose maintenance*
- Healthy blood pressure maintenance*
- Energy production*
- Structural development of bone*
- Antioxidant glutathione synthesis*
- Synaptic plasticity*
- Learning and memory function*
- Oxidative phosphorylation*
Studies Show Magnesium L-Threonate (also known as MMFS-01, L-TAMS, and Magtein™) Provides Cognitive/Memory Support and May Allow for Adaptive Control of “Fear Extinction”*
- Administration of magnesium L-threonate was found to augment structural and functional synapse density, thereby enhancing learning and memory in young rats and preventing memory decline in aging rats.
- n rodents, magnesium L-threonate improved synaptic plasticity and learning and significantly reduced freezing behavior in studies of conditioned fear response. The latter finding suggests possible adaptive control of fear extinction.
- In a human clinical trial, magnesium L-threonate supported the global cognitive abilities of older adults.
- Sun Q, Weinger JG, Mao F et al. Regulation of structural and functional synapse density by L-threonate through modulation of intraneuronal magnesium concentration. Neuropharmacology. 2016 Sep;108:428-39. [PMID: 27178134]
- Abumaria N, Yin B, Zhang L, et al. Effects of elevation of brain magnesium on fear conditioning, fear extinction, and synaptic plasticity in the infralimbic prefrontal cortex and lateral amygdala. J Neurosci. 2011 Oct 19;31(42):14871-81. [PMID: 22016520]
- Liu G, Weinger JG, Lu ZL, et al. Efficacy and safety of mmfs-01, a synapse density enhancer, for treating cognitive impairment in older adults: a randomized, double-blind, placebocontrolled trial. J Alzheimers Dis. 2015 Oct 27;49(4):971-90. [PMID: 26519439]